[Geysers] Giant refill time

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Thu Sep 1 17:32:20 PDT 2005

Over the years I have seen it vary, but most times it takes from 14-20 hours
for the water level to rise to a level about 3 feet below overflow in the
cone.  In the years I have seen the longer fill time, Grotto has had a
marathon during or just after Giant began.

Bijou tends to take 20-36 hours (sometimes longer) to recover.  This was not
the case in the 1950's when George Marler wrote that it would take Bijou
only 4 hours to recover, and the first hot periods would begin 18-24 hours
following Giant.

Since 1992, if Giant can manage to have a strong hot period (one lasting at
least 8 minutes with surging in Mastiff) within 3-4 days of the previous
eruption, there is a good chance it will erupt on a shorter interval.  This
does not always hold true, but I have never seen Giant have a short (less
than 14 day interval) when it takes at least 4-5 days before a strong hot
period happens.

MK