[Geysers] Riverside's bimodality

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Oct 22 18:31:36 PDT 2005

In a message dated 10/22/2005 17:01:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jacross at lamar.ColoState.EDU writes:
Has anybody watched Riverside to determine if before the long eruptions it
shows a disturbance at the 6-hour mark?

Has anybody ever timed the durations to see if they are longer following a
long interval?

I believe John Wegel studied Riverside years ago, but what happened to the
data he collected?

My opinion is that Riverside undergoes cyclic hotter-colder periods during it
overflow (probably actually at all times), and it is during a hotter spell
that it will erupt. Often enough it "tries" but fails, and it is just such an
event that might be called a "disturbance at the 6-hour mark."

[But OH, PLEASE, don't use the term "disturbance" here, as it is too well
entranced for those large-scale events at Norris, etc.]

I don't think there's a significant difference in duration, but I certainly
haven't timed it. Given the sometimes-uncertainly as to the precise start of an
eruption plus its gradual ending lapse from water-to-steam, this might be a
difficult task to accomplish with any reliability.

Did Wegel ever provide his data to the NPS. I know he did provide results, as
they were used by Hutchinson in one or more of his annual reports. But the
data itself -- all those wonderful microdays and such...? Is Wegel still in
Bozeman?