[Geysers] Small Book Review

Kevin & Sherri Leany ksleany at cox.net
Fri Nov 11 13:55:26 PST 2005

I just got my copies of Scott's "small book" and I thought I would share my impressions with the group.

As with the first edition, this book is a brief overview of geysers and their workings.  It covers where geysers are, complete with maps, what is and what isn't a geyser,  how they erupt, and the various types of geysers in language that a 5th grade child can understand, but is not too simple for any adult to enjoy.  It also goes over living organisms that live in geyser runoff channels, safety around geysers, and how the geysers can be affected by the weather, earthquakes, and by human intervention.

Probably the best surprise of this edition was the fantastic photographs in the book, all but the historic ones in color.  The book is well worth the cost for the pictures alone.  They are all top of the line photographs.  The cover shot of Beehive is one of the best I have ever seen and I love the Beehive picture on page 52 that has the old boardwalks that ran had the boards running with the walk instead of perpendicular to it.   He has a "fill and erupt" photo sequence of Echinus Geyser and along with others, some great shots of Fantail, Baby Daisy, Butterfly Spring, Ebony, and Earthquake geysers.  Of special interest to me, he has some shots of geysers at Steamboat Springs and Beowawe that my native State of Nevada did not protect and are now destroyed.

When I got the book, I read it cover to cover.  While this book is simple enough for grade school childern, it is also great for your adult friends who have little or no experience with geysers.  Reading it before taking a trip to Yellowstone will enhance a trip for a first time visitor.  This would be a great gift for relatives who are planning a trip to the park, or for a science teacher in your children's school (or for a school or public library).  All in all, I thought the first edition of this book was the best I had seen for a good book to explain geysers in general.  The Second Edtion totally exceeded my expectations.  Buy it.  You will not be disapointed.  Thanks Scott (and Betty) for your work.  It really fills a needed void.

Kevin Leany
ksleany at cox.net