[Geysers] Geyser Report 11/4 (Stephens)

lynn stephens lstephens.eagle at mail.sisna.com
Fri Nov 4 16:36:54 PST 2005

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV.  ANY OTHER USE IS PROHIBITED WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT FROM THE AUTHOR.

17:05 MST 11/4/05

We did a little better today fiilling the OFVC logbook.  It helped having Kitt, Dave M. and Tara C., and Steve R. and Tonya M. in for at least most of the day.

Thanks to a "short" there were 8 eruptions of Old Faithful recorded, all through visual observation.  The short today occurred at 16:00 in a raging snowstorm and was followed by a 59 mintue interval.  The last "short" had been on October 23 and was followed by a 56 minute interval.  However, there was either a "longish-short" or an intermediate duration on 11/1 that was followed by a 76 minute interval.

Aurum eruptions were recorded at 09:28, 12:23, and 15:42.  Kitt or Tara called the one at 15:42.  I couldn't see Geyser Hill from the parking lot at that time.  Steve and Tonya were either just leaving or had just left for West Yellowstone because visibility was down to almost nothing.

Tara reported that Beehive's Close to Cone Indicator was spouting a few inches at 14:09ie.  Kitt called water in the Indicator and the Indicator at 14:32.  Beehive erupted at 14:40.  Although there wasn't sun on the eruption, at least it wasn't snowing yet.  I watched it from the overlook and tried to take a picture that showed both indicators erupting.

Castle had a minor at 0417e.  When I got out at 6:00 I didn't hear any steam but the cone was clear of snow and icicles and Castle had some sustained splashing at 06:46.  I had Castle under visual observation until about 9:30.  Both Kitt and I watched some intermittent splashing between about 8:15 and 8:25.  The electronic record showed a trace that looked like a minor at 08:18e.  So, we "double logged" it -- 08:18e minor, intermittent splashing only per visual observation.  Around 14:05 through 14:32 Castle was having frequent, intermittent splashing, and still had not had a major eruption as of 17:00.

Daisy times--07:49ie per Lynn, 10:54ie per Dave, and 14:17ie per Dave.

Grand--Grand erupted yesterday evening at 17:56e and 00:28e this morning.  I was at Castle, timing an eruption of Lion, when I saw Grand start at 6:49 this morning.  I don't know whether Grand or Turban initiated the eruption.  But I'm glad I scurried over there in case it had a second burst.  West Triplet was ie at 06:55.  Grand paused at 06:56:36, then the second burst started at 06:57:08.  The second burst ended at 06:58:28 and the third burst started at 06:59:14.  The third burst ended at 07:00:01.  Total duration 10:41.  Vent & Turban quit.  There was no one else at the eruption this morning.  Rift started at 07:16.

Because Rift had erupted after this morning's Grand, I made certain I was at Grand at the opening of the window (13:05).  Turban erupted at 13:07 and Grand did not erupt with that Turban.  Turban erupted at 13:28:01 and Grand erupted at 13:28:55.  This eruption was a one-burst eruption that lasted 9minutes41 seconds.  Vent & Turban continued this time.  I went over to watch Castle splashing and noted that West Triplet was ie at 14:09.  Two visitors asked me for a prediction on Grand just as it started erupting, so there were three of us there for the start.  Dave was at Churn and said it had a beautiful start. Kitt and Tara arrived during the eruption, making a total of 6 people for this afternoon's eruption.

Lion had an initial eruptioon at 06:44, followed by a 4 mintue eruption at 08:25 and a less than 30 second minor at 09:52.  At 17:00 Lion was still splashing and had not yet had another eruption.

Little cut eruptions were recorded at 09:56ie (I had it under observation starting at 07:10 and this was the first eruption of the morning).  I noted another eruption at 11:42ns, duration about 6 minutes.  I didn't have it under observation between 12:55 and 13:45.  The next eruption I noted was 14:05ie, then another eruption at 14:56ns.  After that the snow was too heavy to see whether it erupted again.

No eruptions of Plate were observed.  As I noted yesterday, Plume is dormant.

Dave reported Riverside at 14:23.

Kitt and I saw Depression from the parking lot at 10:12.

Dave and Tara reported Great Fountain ie at 09:03.

Dave reported Grotto Fountain at 14:23 (I think I got the time right) and Grotto at 14:42.  He also had Oblong at 14:27ns.

The only other items in the logbook are my notations on Sawmill:  93 at 09:58, still ie at 11:01; not ie 12:46, 12:57 d = 1 minute (it certainly surprised me as I was walking past it toward Grand), start 13:43 that ended 14:28, and 16:58ie.

Weather:  It was snowing when I went out this morning, but stopped about 7:30.  We had 8 hours when the flakes weren't flying.  The snow started again about 15:30, lightly at first, but by 15:45 it was next to impossible to see Geyser Hill and by 16:00 we could barely see Old Faithful for the VC.  I went out to the benches to get the eruption at 16:59.  The forecast is for more snow.

Wildlife:  There's one bison moving around in the basin and a few geese and mallard ducks, but that's all I saw today.

Lynn Stephens