[Geysers] Geyser Report 11/1 (Stephens)

lynn stephens lstephens.eagle at mail.sisna.com
Tue Nov 1 17:25:19 PST 2005

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER REASON WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT FROM THE AUTHOR.

17:54 MST 11/1/05

Steve Eide checked Great Fountain on his way out last night, saw a false overflow followed by a crash and decided not to stay for the eruption.  I went out this morning, found it already in overflow, and stayed for the eruption at 7:12 (p = 0).  I called estimated prediction on the radio so Steve came over from Fountain and a visitor who had talked to Steve yesterday evening was also there for the eruption.  There was a delicate pink sunrise reflected in the terraces before Great Fountain erupted, so I took a couple pictures.

Great Fountain was not yet in overflow at 17:30 when I checked it.  Because there was a herd of bison strung out across the road on the corner near Whiskey Flats and a small herd of elk in the meadow south of the Steel Bridge, I didn't want to be driving after dark even though the road was dry, so decided not to wait for Great Fountain this evening.

The UNNG in Tangled Creek is still erupting at about 3 minute intervals.

I did get one interval on White Dome this morning of 35 minutes.

Every time I've driven past Gemini, the southeast vent has been active, so I haven't seen any active episodes of Gemini the past 4 days.

Steve and I waited for Pink Cone this morning, which erupted at 08:12--an interval of 20 hours 20 minutes.  Steve had commented that Pink Cone wasn't having any spashing yet, although the road bubblers were active.  It erupted on the first splash that we saw.

Pink erupted at 8:24--Interval of 20 hours 40 minutes between sightings so possibly 6 hours 53 minutes average if that was three intervals.

I saw Narcissus 06:58ie from Great Fountain.

We weren't at the Pink Cone group long enough to get intervals on Bead or Box Spring.

There were no reports of Fountain today.

Because Grotto was marathoning, I decided to spend some time at Flood this afternoon.  It is alternating major and intermediate eruptions.  I did not see any minor eruptions; just a single splash before a couple of the eruptions.
    Times         Duration        Interval After
    15:20:33       6:15              31:07
    15:51:40       3:55              20:35
    16:12:15       7:21              36:06
    16:48:21       3:29              21:38
    17:09:59       7:40             unknown

While I was watching Flood, I saw a Till major at 16:32ns, duration approximately 30 minutes.  The first minor (afterburst) occurred at 17:19.

There were no reports for Riverside today.

Two Daisy reports--10:12ie and 14:50ie.  I don't know whether that was a closed or a double interval.

As I previously mentioned, Grotto was marathoning--ie at 09:00, still ie at 15:00.  All the Giant signs were in place on the platform.  "Solstice" was active today.  I saw an eruption of Oblong from Grand at 14:14.

Castle had a major eruption at 11:46, following a major last night at 22:37.

Sawmill was active--09:00ie, end 10:12 with a deep drain. Sawmill erupted at 13:07, but was off before 13:33.  Uncertain had heavy splashing but had not erupted when I left the area about 14:45.

Grand erupted last night 23:05e, and this morning 07:05e.  This afternoon it erupted at 14:34, T1Q, d=10:19.  Yesterday afternoon there was, once again, 5 people at the eruption.  This afternoon there was only one other person in addition to myself.

There might have been more people at Grand except that Beehive had not yet erupted and interesting things were happening on Geyser Hill.

Steve called Beehive's Indicator at 14:36, two minutes after Grand.  As soon as Grand ended, I scurried over toward Castle, arriving at the corner by Tilt just as Beehive started at 14:49.

Depression erupted at 9:23 and aurum erupted at 10:48.  The only Lion reported was 08:32ie.  Plate erupted at 09:08, 13:36ie, and 13:52ie.

Steve reported Little Squirt ie at 10:40, but it probably hadn't been erupting very long prior to that.

Plume intervals today were 69 mintues, 78 minutes, 72 minutes, 80 minutes, and 79 minutes.  Plume erupted at 09:07, then at 10:16.  About 11:25 I called Steve on the radio to ask if I had missed Plume (I was sitting at Castle).  He replied that it hadn't erupted.  About the time he expected Plume, the central vent filled and the water level came up but it did not erupt.  It finally erupted at 11:34.  Steve said it had a very slow start.  The next eruptions were at 12:46, 14:06, and 15:15.

The exciting activity was "Improbable/PLH" as it was entered into the logbook.  The first eruption was at 12:51.  Steve was on Geyser Hill and got pictures.  I was watching from the Lower Ham's parking lot.  I timed the water duration at a few seconds under 2 minutes, so said the water duration was approximately 2 minutes.  Steve said he'd have to take my word for it because he was taking pictures. It had a steam phase following the water phase that appeared to also last about 2 minutes.  Steve said the eruption was about 10 to 15 feet high.  I was at Grand when Steve called a second eruption at 14:28, water duration also approximately 2 minutes.

Weather:  Last night the wind blew strongly most of the night.  This morning it was warmer than I expected so I just had on my fleece jacket except when the wind was blowing.  There were more clouds than sun, but the sky didn't drip today.  Looking at the weather forecast, it appears that today may be the best day of the week.  They are predicting snow accumulations Wednesday evening through Thursday.

Wildlife:  The ravens at Castle today were once again very aggressive.  At one point I had walked over toward Crested Pool to check to see whether Grotto was still erupting.  I left my plastic bag with my sewing on the bench.  Thankfully some visitors shooed the ravens away before they scattered bags of thread all over the walkway.
   There's a lone mallard drake that's been frequenting the pond on the south side of the walkway between the lift station and Castle.  He spends most of his time there because the geese drive him off when he's in the pond on the north side in the meadow.  I don't know where he's going to go when the south side pond freezes over.

Lynn Stephens