[Geysers] GMRS radios compatibility

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Wed May 25 10:31:58 PDT 2005

Have any of you had experience with Midland GMRS radios?  I am
interested in 5 watt GXT500 radios which claim a 14 mile range
(line-of-sight).  My guess is that they might be able to reach from
Upper to Lower Basin (around 7 miles of signal blocking terrain).  Am
especially interested in knowing how batteries hold up when transmitting
on 5 watts.

Am hoping someday for a radio that will reach from Norris to Upper
Basin.  Would have come in handy this week.

Thanks,
Udo Freund