[Geysers] Iceland geothermal features

Katherine kluketina at hnpl.net
Thu May 19 21:25:40 PDT 2005

from Katherine Luketina

I visited Iceland in early May and went to the Geysir area.  Until 27 June,
photos can be viewed at:

http://fotopost.co.nz/members/shared_proc.asp?u=37988&p=142565CD-6462-4966-A
7B8-51AC09D1CE96&rollid=1705050795

The Geysir photos are in the first album, pictures 10 to 25.  I even got a
picture of the Strokkur bubble.  Strokkur was erupting every ten minutes or
so, in three bursts, each successively lower than the first, which was very
high by New Zealand standards.  I could not hazard a guess as to height.  I
was surprised that there was very little sinter terracing around the pools.
Apparently Iceland geothermal water is quite dilute compared to New Zealand
waters.  I was also surprised at the lack of vascular geothermal vegetation,
but then Iceland does not have the same climate for botany as New Zealand.

I also visited two other areas of geothermal features, both on the Reykannes
peninsula.  No geysers there.  One was an area of steaming ground, and the
other had some mud pools and some chloride pools, but again, no sinter
deposition.  Photos from these areas can be seen in the second album,
pictures 19 to 22 and 25 to 28, until 14 June

Regards
Katherine Luketina