[Geysers] Geyser report May 5

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu May 5 15:14:56 PDT 2005

... and in addition, Castle since April 21 and Grand for May...

I was only in the park a short time today, having to check on Giant and
Grotto after yesterday's out-of-sync stuff (rain coming in and things to do in
town). Suffice to say that all was normal today. A fine Grotto Fountain start
(0759) and a weak Giant Hot Period half an hour later (0827, d = 5m 12s).

Grand is reported below. No info on Beehive as it undoubtedly erupted  during
the wee hours. Plate was seen for the first time in many days, and with  that
standing water was not visible in Boardwalk, etc.

Daisy at 0752 and 1059 for an interval of 3h 07m.

With one exception, Grand has behaved very well in May. The record  is:
May 1
0828
1604, 7h 36m
2330e, 7h 24m
May 2
0806e, 8h 36m
1531, 7h 25m (T1C)
2253e, 7h 22m
May 3
0605e, 7h 12m
1233, 6h 28m (G2Q)
2017, 7h 44m
May 4
0703e, 10h 46m
1440, 7h 37m (T2C)
2153e, 7h 13m
May 5
0424e, 6h 31m
1118, 6h 54m (G2C)

I pulled all the Castle data because I sensed that it has been somewhat
erratic -- not doing the right stuff at the right time -- and that seems borne
out. In the following, minor intervals are within brackets:
April 21
1315e minor?, -----
2314e, [9h 59m]
April 22
1444 minor (D~4 1/2 min), 15h 30m -- note this length
1824 iew, [<3h 40m]
April 23
0802, >13h 38m
2040 minor, 12h 38m
April 24
0012e, [3h 32m]
1345 iew, <13h 33m
April 25
0254e minor >12h 09m
1148 ies, [<8h 54m]
April 26
0105e, >13h 17m
1414 iew, <13h 09m
April 27
0321e, >13h 07m
missing record
April 28
0505e, -----
1757, 12h 52m
April 29
0645e minor, 12h 48m
1113, [4h 28m]
April 30
0125e minor?, 14h 12m
1213 iew, [<10h 48m]?
May 1
0248e, >12h 35m
1555, 13h 07m
May 2
0515e, 13h 20m
1826, 13h 11m
May 3
0714e minor, 12h 48m
1415, [7h 01m]
May 4
0408 minor, 13h 53m
1411, [10h 03m]
May 5
0432e, 14h 21m

Do note the 9 and 10 hour minor intervals. Do note that minors do not
necessarily begin after exceptionally short intervals. And note also that even
during "normal" major-to-major intervals, Castle does a great deal of splashing
for many hours before an eruption.

What fun.