[Geysers] Mystery geyser

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Thu Mar 31 07:37:28 PST 2005

Yes, this photo seems to be of Crater Hills Geyser. Don't forget that
Crater Hills Geyser is one of those thermal features that actually has TWO
names. Its other name is officially approved with a USBGN decision and the
name is SULPHUR SPRING.

History, or usage, or the USBGN’s approval, or all three have sometimes
combined to leave us with two names for single features such as Steamboat
Geyser (New Crater Geyser), Monument Geyser (Thermos Bottle Geyser),
Oblique Geyser (Avalanche Geyser), Joseph’s Coat Springs (Orange Rock
Springs), Lover’s Leap (Rock Point), Queen’s Laundry (Red Terrace Spring),
Teton Hill (Lookout Terrace), Mask Geyser (Bellefontaine Geyser), and
perhaps others that I have not thought of.

Even stranger are two-name cases like Old Bath Lake, Restless Geyser, Diana
Spring, and Dragon Geyser, where the official name is not the one
entrenched in local usage (see respectively Ranger Pool, Atomizer Geyser,
Cleopatra Spring, and Aurum Geyser). Recall the Board’s rule that one
cannot ignore official names. But here that is difficult, because of the
Board’s other rule instructing us not to ignore local usage.

There is always interesting stuff in the place names arena.

Lee Whittlesey
Park Historian, NPS
Yellowstone National Park

                      Karen Webb
                      <caros at aros.net>         To:       geyser observation reports <geysers at wwc.edu>
                      Sent by:                 cc:       (bcc: Lee Whittlesey/YELL/NPS)
                      geysers-bounces at w        Subject:  Re: [Geysers] Mystery geyser
                      wc.edu

                      03/29/2005 07:08
                      PM MST
                      Please respond to
                      geyser
                      observation
                      reports

Karen Webb
    CHG was my guess also, but I'm wrong with these so much I hesitated
to comment.  If it's the same CHG, it looks a lot like the Brain Coral
in the Xanth books on those rare occasions the water levels lower.
Karen