[Geysers] Book Review "Yellowstone Farewell"

Karen Low yellowstonekaren at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 9 13:58:49 PST 2005

I picked up a book titled "Yellowstone Farewell" last week.  Since there has been so much talk about supervolcano programs about Yellowstone on TV lately, I thought I'd post a short review of it.

Would you believe a book titled "Yellowstone Farewell" does not have a single scene actually set in Yellowstone? Instead, the setting is pretty much the rest of the state. In the book, Yellowstone looms as a malevolent entity reaching out to reign havoc. Yes, it is a fictional account of Yellowstone erupting. It does have some good descriptions of the geology of Wyoming, except Yellowstone's geology.

The main character geologist and a newsreporter have a mild romance (G-rated). The authors are overly fond of italics. The book also clearly demonstrates a right-wing bias, at one point complaining of extreme environmentalists who shut down a proposed gold mine outside of the Northeast Entrance of the park.  Creative license is understandable, but the idea of the park headquarters being moved to West Thumb is absolutely inconceivable.

I predict this is one that will never make it to the Yellowstone Association's bookstores. I wouldn't recommend it unless you really like disaster books, but some people whose reviews are posted on the book's website seem to disagree with me, so I'll give you the website address, in case you'd like a second opinion: http://yellowstonefarewell.com/  If anybody who knows me wants to borrow my copy in spite of my negative review, let me know.

Karen Low

http://mail.yahoo.com