[Geysers] Added details

Karl and Lori Hoppe karlori at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 26 22:04:55 PDT 2005

Several details to add from the reports from this past
week.  I just got back to email access after being in
the Park from June 19-25.  The "we" below includes a
currently non-gazer (but after this trip soon may turn
into a FrOG), Kyle Rupprecht, and I.

The details on the 4-burst Grand were as follows:

Eruption time: 2257, 21 June
1st burst, d=7m 36s
pause of 33s
2nd burst, d=1m 11s
pause of 26s
3rd burst, d=1m 15s
pause of 28s
4th burst, d=33s

Incidentally, it was a full (or near-full) moon,
really ideal conditions.  I'd say the 3rd burst was
probably the highest, but I was too busy trying to
sweep my jaw off the boardwalk to take notice of the
height of the 4th.  It was so unexpected...

We were obviously pretty pumped after that show and
decided to go down to F&M and watch cycles there until
Riverside erupted, then return.  Riverside cooperated,
F&M did not...

Here's the report for F&M from 22 June:

Angle was splooshing by itself at 2338 when we
arrived.

Riverside erupted at 0001.
F&M cycle began at 0001, River and Gold on
simultaneously.
We waited for abour 4 minutes for Angle, then went to
see if we could see a moonbow in Riverside (angles
weren't right).  As I crossed the bridge at F&M at
0008, River and Gold were still on.  By the time I got
to the other side of Mortar's steam (0009), Angle was
confirmed on, BUT River and Gold were off.  Since I
didn't see if Angle was on BEFORE River & Gold were
off, could this have been a Gold pause?  Since I saw
water in Angle without River/Gold, I assumed not and
either way, didn't view it as a positive sign.

We decided to wait and watch the next cycle:
0029 River on
0038 River off (River pause)
0045 River on
0053 Gold on
0106 Angle on
The cycle was still on at 0130.  Right before we got
up to leave the wind shifted and the steam from Mortar
moved to reveal Frying Pan sputtering.  When it turned
on I do not know.  I decided to turn in and hope for
another event "later" in the morning.

Then the eruption cycle:

Splashing in Main vent appeared at 0629 with
everything off (previous cycle had ended).
0638 River on
0646 River off (River pause)
0656 River on
0702 River off ("double" pause)
During this time, "front" splashing was visible in the
Main Vent of Fan - almost like watching the top of a
continuous boil.  Not a lot of "white stuff", but
simply droplets visible quite often.
0710 River on, (around this time water in MV was only
seen sporadically)
0715 Gold on
0718 Angle on (now no water  has been seen in MV for
several minutes, and none until the eruption).
0732 Fan and Mortar - East vent start (barely beat
Main).

Finally, one more remark on the Giant area...  Oblong
has been having LARGE eruptions this year.  On Friday,
24 June, Kitt Barger was watching Oblong while Steve
Robinson and I were at Giant.  Oblong was beyond the 4
hour mark and appeared ready to erupt (islands
covered, heavy flow off the front).  When Steve called
the beginning of the Giant hot period at 1745, Oblong
immediately crashed.  The exact same thing appeared to
have happened at the 1920 hot period.  When we arrived
at Oblong, it was well below overflow, but water was
running to the river in front of us, indicating a
crash.

Oblong finally erupted at 2058ie (I~6h 42m).  Giant
hot period followed at 2111.  Feather was on for a
whopping 1m 01s.  Yes.  In fact I probably let the
stopwatch run an extra half second just so I could say
it was "more than a minute".

Might big, mostly fairly regular Oblongs not be ideal
for Giant, either (in addition to increased activity
in Turtle)?  Who knows!  I just found the events from
that evening interesting and thought I'd pass them on
(interesting except for the 2111 hot period, that is).

Karl Hoppe