[Geysers] "Topsoil Spring"

Gordon Bower siegmund at mosquitonet.com
Sun Jun 26 20:22:39 PDT 2005

Just for the sake of completeness, making sure previous reports about this
feature don't get overlooked because of name differences:

I learned the name of this feature as "Sand Spring" (I think from Cathy
Nist in 1990, but I heard it called that by others in 1992 and 1993 too)
and managed never to hear of "Topsoil Spring" until today. Of course it's
pretty easy to go years without having this little feature come up in
conversation. I thought there had been reports of it boiling or bubbling
up a few inches in the early 90s too, but there's nothing in the SPUT
index under either name.

Both names obviously have essentially the same derivation (one for what
it is and one for how it looks). It looks like Topsoil should get the nod,
because it's not been used in other basins like Sand has, and apparently
is the older name too. But do make a note that some observations of this
feature are going to turn up under the other name too.

Some readers will recall "Key Spring" just north of here turning out to
have a forgotten name "Shoe Spring" - is there any chance that whatever
old reference provided that name has anything to say about this feature
too?

GRB