[Geysers] Old Faithful lightning strike injures 11

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Jun 22 05:25:59 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/22/2005 12:56:17 AM Mountain Standard Time,
dmonteit at icehouse.net writes:

More  than 200 tourists were in the area, waiting for an eruption of the
famous  geyser at about 3:15 p.m. when a violent storm rolled in, Matthews
said.

The only part of this I wonder about is the "200" figure. I don't know, of
course, what the then-current prediction for Old Faithful was, but I know the
previous was for about 13:38. Ordinarily, then, the next would have been in
the  vicinity of 15:15 -- the time of the lightning. Meaning that I bet that
figure  ought to be 2,000... I was on a tour yesterday and at about noon was
taliing to  the nats, including Katy Duffy, who agreed that the VC counter is
showing  mid-July crowds at this time. (My tour at Canyon/Artists Point at the
same time, where we rushed to get back to the van due to a _great_ many  bolts
associated with a really black cloud.)