[Geysers] Heart Lake

Lucille Reilly thedulcimerlady at juno.com
Tue Jun 14 14:07:53 PDT 2005

Hi Karen et al,

Heart Lake first came to mind when I read the post for hiking requests,
but don't I recall that it's 19 miles round trip?  (I felt every step of
that one.  Got me a table in the restaurant at Grant and put my feet up
on one of the chairs for most of the meal!)  That's why no one has
suggested Shoshone GB either--just too long.

Ah, but Monument Trail?  That's 2 miles RT.  Description: The first 1/4
mile or so "roller coasters" alongside Gibbon River, then takes a sharp
left turn and heads up the mountain quite steeply.  I saw two young
children literally run up the thing (not that I would!).  The features at
the top are worth it.  Pack your lunch for the summit, and be sure to
pack everything out when you're done.  Mind you, the descent is steep as
well.  Be sure shoes have good tread to grip the trail.

Lucille Reilly
Denver CO