[Geysers] Heart Lake 16 July

Jeffrey Cross jacross at lamar.ColoState.EDU
Thu Jul 28 12:40:06 PDT 2005

Heart Lake Geyser Basin was visited on 16 July 2005.  The bugs were
terrible until a strong wind came up.  Twelve geysers were observed
erupting or suspected of being active.

RUSTIC GROUP:

Rustic Geyser-active
all other geysers-dormant

LOWER GROUP:

Ivory Geyser-active as usual
all other geysers-dormant

MIDDLE GROUP:

The upper portion of the middle group was visited, but for the second
time, I could locate no geysers.

FISSURE GROUP:

Glade Geyser is active, I suspect the intervals are about 1 day.

"Black Velvet Geyser" is also active, but it should be noted that it is
not mapped at all on Rocco's maps, contrary to what I implied in my last
Transactions article.  The vent lies well to the NE of the main part of
the Fissure Group, probably 400 feet from the creek.

Other geysers noted:
Pit Geyser-active
Wisp Geyser-low water level, inactive
Splurger Geyser-active, seems to have both short and long intervals
UNNG above Splurger (Paperiello #116)-active
Paperiello #68 (long fissure vent)-PS
Paperiello #70-PS
UNNG small cone at edge of #70-active, independent geyser, I = minutes, D
= seconds, H = 1 foot; this is the first time I have seen this vent erupt
periodically
Paperiello #78-this tiny complex of three vents was having nice eruptions,
one interval was 7 minutes, another was 12 minutes; H = 1-2 feet
Paperiello #79-81 cone and pool complex-periodic activity
Paperiello #91-inactive
Paperiello #99-active, I = 2 minutes, H = subterranean splashing
Shell Geyser-active, I = random, D = brief, H = 4 feet
Paperiello #106-not seen
Paperiello #101-active
Paperiello #53 ("Siphon Geyser")-probably inactive, but full and boiling

UPPER GROUP:

Poor Deluge!  It required a full 20 minutes to complete one fill cycle.
The two overflows observed were both anemic.  Though the main runoff
channel was still filled, the formation in front of the pool is completely
dry.  Similar conditions were noted last fall.

Paperiello #16-active, but like Deluge, very anemic.

Spike Geyser-anemic, as has been the case for quite a few years now.  The
formations around the crater are quite dryed up.

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu