[Geysers] Seismographs

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Mon Jan 31 19:37:21 PST 2005

Here is what I can tell ya:

1-Giantess, over the years, I have seen show up one of two ways on the
seismograph.  The first, which is how this eruption appeared, is what
appears to be a steady small earthquake lasting from 15-45 minutes.  It
takes about 15 minutes per revolution of the seismograph at the OFVC and
this last eruption is measured for just over 2 turns.  The second type looks
more like a series of earthquakes over this same time span, with clear
breaks between events.  I remember Rick Hutchinson mumbling in the past when
there was a lot of tremor swarms/seismic activity it was much harder to
single out Giantess from a small quake.

As for magnitude, I don't know the exact reading.

2-Giant has had eruptions in the past that have thumped the platform and
rattled signs.  I witnessed this on the 12/18/88 eruption and I believe Lynn
Stephens saw the same in prior to the 9/12/88 eruption.  This same
phenomenon was described by several observers in the late 1880's.  I have
been at the platform or arrived within a few minutes of the start of over 50
Giant eruptions in the past 15 years and the eruption on 12/18/88 was the
only time I have felt this phenomenon.

MK