[Geysers] Seismographs

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 18:38:32 PST 2005

In a message dated 1/31/2005 17:54:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jacross at lamar.ColoState.EDU writes:
1) When Giantess registers on the seismograph, how big of an eartuquake
does it create?  M 2.0?  1.0?

2) Years ago I remember hearing that prior to Giant Geyser's eruptions,
the platform would shake and pound.  Yet I have not heard anybody mention
this for perhaps the last 15 years.  Did this really happen?  And if so,
does it still happen?

3) Does anyone have the URL for the Yellowstone photo files?  It appeared
on the list last winter, but I have since lost it.

1. No idea from here.

2. Since I (ah, hem) have yet to be there for the beginning of an eruption, I
cannot say if things shake and pound. But I do recall numerous early
describtions of such, from Grand and Beehive and almost everything else. And I have
yet to experience any such. Writer's license, I think.

3. www.nps.gov/yell/slidefile/thermalfeatures/ gets you to the start of all
the thermal stuff.