[Geysers] Geyserite at Smithsonian

MA Bellingham mabell126 at bresnan.net
Mon Jan 24 19:04:27 PST 2005

>From my research I never felt it was from Vixen, but up Geyser Creek  "to
the foot of the bluffs beyond the Paint-Pots".

Here's what I have in my notes that "could" be it..

>From PW Norris' "Calumet of the Coteau"  (1883) (p 250)  "From this place we
ran a wagon as far as possible with animals, then with men, towards the
famous Geyser cone, now in the National Museum in Washington, which was
nearly two miles, by a circuitous route, to the foot of the bluffs beyond
the Paint-Pots.  There it required a blacksmith frequently sharpening tools,
a man to assist in drilling and chiselling, and another to carry and throw
cold water upon them to prevent parboiling in the hot steam and jets from
its seventeen fine pulsating cones or orifices for nearly a week, and then
twenty men to carry it amid the bottomless boiling chaldrons to the wagon,
and thence it was conveyed safely to Washington, although weighing nearly
half a ton."

I just found out tonight I have a commitment in Cody on April 24.  Oh, if
the East Entrance road would be open on opening weekend..

MA

M.A. Bellingham

  _____