[Geysers] Short visit 12/29

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Tue Jan 4 09:42:48 PST 2005

Only had one day in the Park and didn't get to see much geyser activity.
Didn't have a notepad or walkies either.  So, from memory, I saw a five
burst Plume around 0839 on 12/29.  Also around that time saw the CCI and
2 other bubblers erupting around Beehive while it was splashing heavily.
They were active for well over an hour before the Indicator started.
Went back to Snow Lodge via Aurum (which was growling post-eruptively)
to wake Eric up but he'd already left.  By the time Indicator started
(sorry, don't have a time) I was back in the VC looking for him.
Neither Katy, Beth or I could see the Indicator start due to fog.
Couldn't see my son either, nor he me.  I missed the first minute or so
of Beehive running over to the hill but heard it start about the time I
got to the hill side of the bridge.  Again, sorry I have no times, but
I'm certain the VC logged it.  Finally found Eric by going back to the
Snow Lodge a second time.  After breakfast we went out in the basin
together.  By then (which was probably after 11AM) Little Squirt had
started - it was off earlier.  Beehive has built up ice to within a few
inches of the tops of the benches making footing, um - interesting.
Depression had erupted in the meantime - it was recovering and about 6
inches below overflow.  Nothing on the Hill looked imminent except
perhaps Lion, but it can look good for hours prior to an initial.  We
didn't stick around.  Sawmill and Spasmodic were active.  Rift's runoff
channel was wet, puddles not frozen.  Economic was overflowing heavily.
Beauty was in overflow.  Oblong was low, post-eruptive.  Bijou was on
the whole time it was in our view.  F&M was in garbage mode.  Riverside
was not overflowing.  Grotto Fountain was out of sight and Grotto quiet.
Saw a two burst Grand around 1PM, which I hear is quite a novelty these
days, and Castle, which both started within minutes of each other.  We
stuck around Castle for the steam phase.  Clouds started forming, wind
got nasty and chased us out of the basin.  On the road in & out we saw
lots of trumpeter swans (probably over 2 dozen) on both the Madison and
Firehole rivers and 3 bald eagles plus the usual elk and bison but no
canines.  Our first winter experience was sadly very short and poorly
planned due to things beyond our control, but nevertheless enjoyable.
Nothing beats a mid-winter geyser fix!

Udo Freund