[Geysers] Grotto by Gibson

Carlton Cross CrosCa at wwc.edu
Tue Feb 15 17:34:42 PST 2005

Moderator Comment:  Here's something that didn't get normal processing
which I haven't been able to figure out, so I'm posting it.  I don't
think either one got posted yet.

Carlton Cross
Alternate Moderator
carlton.cross at wwc.edu

Scott,
The illustration comes from F. K. Warren's CALIFORNIA ILLUSTRATED
(1892)
but is based on an earlier image that appeared in John Gibson's GREAT
WATERFALLS, CATARACTS, AND GEYSERS (1887).  This image appears in
various forms in other illustrated Yellowstone books during the late
1880s and 1980s.  Both the Gibson and Warren images appear and are
discussed on page 73 in SPIRIT OF YELLOWSTONE (2003) and figures 13
and
15 (between pages 54 and 55) in SPIRIT OF YELLOWSTONE (1996).

Hope this info helps!

Judy Meyer