[Geysers] Geyser report from New Zealand

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 24 14:55:09 PST 2005

Dave and I merely wished to convey our impression of the "Lady Knox
experience," which is quite different from what geyser gazers would normally
encounter in Yellowstone (and, indeed, the other geysers areas in New
Zealand).  Our comment was not meant to disregard the historical or
geological significance of Lady Knox Geyser, or to offend any of our kind
hosts in New Zealand.

In fact we found Waiotapu to be a fascinating place to visit, with thermal
features the likes of which we had never seen in Yellowstone.  It is our
understanding that there are other, smaller geysers at Waiotapu, including
Waiotapu Geyser, which we apparentyl missed by not too long, as the water
around the vent was warm when we passed through.

Lady Knox itself is a fine geyser in a lovely setting.  According to our
guide, it is capable of erupting on its own, but the soaping provides the
opportunity for many (MANY) visitors to see a fine geyser in a unique
thermal area.

Tara Cross

fanandmortar at hotmail.com