[Geysers] Pohutu

Kory Collier korycollier at msn.com
Tue Dec 20 16:14:26 PST 2005

A message from Kory Collier  20 Dec 2005

In 1994, a flight of mine got unexpectedly re-routed through Auckland with a
really long layover---long enough to rent a car, drive to Rotorua, spend two
hours at Whakarewarewa, and get back to the airport in time (a lot of
driving that day, but well worth it!)

Like Tara, I was very impressed with Pohutu.  If I've read her data
correctly, the intervals they were there for were all very close to 40
minutes, and the durations in the 15-20 minute range.

During the two hours I was there in September 1994, the intervals were a lot
shorter: I think roughly about 5 minutes (I have no idea where my notes from
that day are now); but I clearly remember that the intervals from start to
start were in the 10 to 15 minute range---at least the several that I timed.
  I wasn't always in spots where I could see Pohutu, but as I explored the
basin, I kept looking over my shoulder at it as much as possible, and it
never went very long without erupting.

I would love it if any of the New Zealand list readers could tell me (my
curiosity of eleven years ago has been reawakened) if the short intervals I
observed were typical for 1994.  If so, for how long of a period of time
were the intervals typically that short?  Or maybe did Pohutu cycle between
short intervals and longer ones?  What would be the best resource for me to
look up what Pohutu's numbers and behavior have been like over the years?

I went there that day with a vague understanding that Pohutu's intervals
were usually some small number of hours, and I wasn't even sure I should
hope to see an eruption in my limited amount of time.  So seeing several was
a real treat.  And the eruptions were indeed beautiful.  From some angles of
view, the column of water had a slender, nearly perfect shape, and from
others it gave me a wider, more powerful impression.  It was also amazing to
me to note how very Yellowstone-like the hot springs appeared in general
while their setting was very unlike Yellowstone geyser basins.  I guess that
shouldn't be surprising, but somehow it still struck me as uncanny.  It was
definitely one of the more fascinating two-hours periods I've ever spent.

Kory Collier
kory at mstar.net (Note the different address.  For some strange reason I can't
post to the list using my MSTAR e-mail, but it's the only account I usually
read.)