[Geysers] Weekend Yellowstone visit (8/26 to 28/05) Kitt

barger barger at tritel.net
Mon Aug 29 22:56:14 PDT 2005

     Yellowstone called me once again and I answered that call.  I arrived at ~1645 on Friday, the 26th.  Most of the geysers that I saw were seen from a distance.
1716 Daisy
1722 Grand (G2Q)
     I headed for Oblong, hoping that it would be kind.  The Log had a 1355ie for the last Oblong.  Grotto quit at 1818 and I had made a mental note to keep an eye out for Feather, since the GIP was up.  Karen W. and Karen B. and I were watching Oblong cycle up and down when I glanced toward Giant.  Oops!  So much for a mental note.  Giant Hot Period at 1909 in eruption.  Feather, Feather's Satelite, S. W. V.'s, and Rust.  People sitting at Giant said the little geysers had been going for about 5 minutes.  Cave made a maximum height of 1 foot and Mastiff varied from flat to 5 feet and started getting wider during the last couple of minutes.  Feather quit at 1917 for an approx. duration of 10 to 12 minutes.
     We returned to Oblong.  As the sun was rapidly disappearing Daisy erupted at 2006 and finally Oblong at 2016 (duration 7 minutes).  Karen B. and I planned a quick check on F and M only to see Main Vent splash at 2037 with River on and Gold and Hi joined in at 2041.  We lost water levels at 2046 as well as our light.  Thus ended day one.
     Day 2 was better.  Castle at 0716 ns (oops-my usual Castle tries to minor as I pedal away quickly).  It restarted at 0737 per Ralph who was downloading on the Hill.  I headed for F & M (since I really wanted a closed interval) and found Main Vent Splashing with River off.  From 0733 to 0853 (when River starts) Bottom Vent erupts pretty much constantly.  Oblong at 0741 ie (steam cloud) and 0821 ns Daisy.  Gold, Hi, and Angle join Bottom Vent and water levels disappear around the 6 minute mark.  I headed back to wait for Grand since we don't know the overnight and passed Grotto which was definitely in a Marathon.  After one Turban the V.C. radioes Grand 0214 E.  The next Turban- Grand 0954 (T1Q per Mary Beth).  Beehive indicator is called at 1003 ie.  Sorry Grand, but I hurry away to catch a Beehive.  As I head toward Lion, I see a large column grow.  Beehive 1007.  We hurry on to catch the last 2-3 minutes of Beehive.  I return and visit with Mary Beth.  Daisy at 1127.
     We head back in only to hear Karen W. call splashing in Main at 1205.  More of the same and no eruption.  I miss the next Oblong and later that day while I waited for another Grand, Oblong 1725 (duration 7 minutes).  Grand erupted at 1836 (T2Q) that was beautiful.  At 1912 more splashing in Main.  River, Gold, and Hion at ~1919, but no Bottom Vent.
Also no Fan and Mortar.  Daisy at 1930 and Castle minors by 2019.  I still want to see more.  I decide to drive to Fountain to see if I can get the next one.  Two eruptions had been seen earlier in the day.  Fountain 2148ns as I round the corner.  The sinter around Fountain was just starting to get wet.  I tried lighting it with my flashlight and watching it in the dark (but no moon).  It ended at 2217.  I had just started off the hill when I noticed a steam cloud and heard a roaring.  Aargh!  Silex!   I started to run with my flashlight trying to cut through the steam caused by the hot water running under the boardwalk.  Silex 2220 ie  I noticed that the wide area of the landing in front of Silex was soaked all the way across the boardwalk and down to the sign that says (Don't throw objects in geysers).  I stood at the edge of the wet boardwalk and at one point Silex surprised me with a shower of water slightly cooler than coffee.  My down coat was soaked.  Silex quit at 2224.  After a 1 minute pause it had a very loud 3 minute complete drain.  I could hear the water disappearing through the plumbing as it hissed.  It had minor fill eruptions at 2244, 2248, 2251, 2257, and 2302.  As the water neared the inner upper circle, Silex erupted again for 6 minutes.  This was a large eruption and when it finished it drained down to a quarter full and then I was shocked to hear 5 thumps reverberate the boardwalk.  During the first two, I was scanning the boardwalks for a bison or other large critter.  I watched it slowly and gently refill without the wild minors and decided to leave at 2335.
Aug. 28th was my last day and I planned to take advantage of it all.  I was headed for the parking lot when I thought I saw Beehive's Indicator.  I hurried to get my bike and when I got closer I confirmed that it was Beehive's Ind. at 0606 ie.  Beehive erupted without the sun or a breeze at 0611.  I headed down to F and M and saw Artemisia's steamcloud at 0704 ie and Daisy's steamcloud over my shoulder at 0712 ns (since I had just left it the minute before.  Bottom Vent was damp, but still no F and M.  I returned to Grand via Oblong which was cycling up.  The boardwalk was frosty the whole way and icy near Grand from the 0123 E Grand.  Penta in steamphase at 0744 ie.  Turban was ie as I passed heading for Penta.  At 0804, I called Julie and told her Grand's pool was full and Turban was due.  Grand 0805 (G1 C)  The boardwalks are finally thawed, so I return to get an Oblong.  There was a Giant Hot Period at 0830 with a duration of approximately 4 minutes called by Herb.  At 1203 we had another Giant Hot Period with a duration of ~10 minutes with Turtle to a foot.  I went in briefly at 1330 and then returned to Grand.  Grand at 1456 (T1C) with Oblong starting just after Grand quit at 1510.  I made it to Chromatic for the last 4 minutes.
     We then joined Lynn (back from Bozeman with ice cream and carrot cake) and had a wonderful snack.  I headed for home after Castle was called at 1624.  The verdict was still out on whether the East Entrance would be open Friday night (for Labor Day Weekend) as I left the Park.
  Well I'm off to bed, so hopefully I'll see many of you in the Park this weekend.  Kitt