[Geysers] cell phone/old Faithful functionality question

Steve Robinson geysirs at comcast.net
Thu Aug 25 20:42:37 PDT 2005

I recently changed wireless service from Verizon to Cingular. I've used my
new service and phone on July & August trips. I used the my phone (Motorola
Razr V3) at Old Faithful and West Thumb. It was not roaming in either of
these places. As for other places in Yellowstone I do not know if it is
roaming or not.

When looking for a new phone, you need to get one that is GPRS (General
Packet Radio Service (GPRS) enabled networks offer 'always-on', higher
capacity, Internet-based content and packet-based data services. This
enables services such as colour Internet browsing, e-mail on the move,
powerful visual communications, multimedia messages and location-based
services.) On the July trip I made about 1 1/2 hours worth of calls and had
my phone on continuously from Sunday morning to Thursday evening before I
had to recharge it. I wanted to know how long it would last on 1 charge.

I hope that this answered your questions.

Steve