[Geysers] Eruption at Ngatamariki, NZ

r.keam at auckland.ac.nz r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Apr 26 04:51:24 PDT 2005

I am in Antalya, Turkey, attendýng the World Geothermal Congress 2005, but
heard about the hydrothermal eruption on the way.

This outbreak is from a crater that formed in about 1948.  On that former
occasion the source area was deep in undeveloped country and no-one to my
knowledge visited it at the time.  The resident guide at Orakeikorako (Charlie
Hamilton) heard the roar and told Ted Lloyd and myself that the Waikato River
at Orakeikorako was discoloured for about three days afterwards.  The
approximate date of this early eruption and the only details about it came
from Charlie Hamilton.

Ted and I visited the crater first ýn 1969.  It was then full of hot water and
overflowing into the Orakonui Stream and thence into the Waikato River.

Ron Keam

Quoting TSBryan at aol.com: