[Geysers] Final Chapter: Midway Geyser Basin Airplane Crash August 4th, 2003

Charles and Cari Manry cmanry at comcast.net
Mon Apr 25 20:13:43 PDT 2005

Dear Geyser List:

The NTSB has finalized their report know as a "Probable Cause" for the
unfortunate accident that occurred in the Midway Geyser Basin on August
4, 2003.  The NTSB writeup from the "Preliminary" report to the final
"Probable Cause" changed very little..

In my 3/7/2005 posting I gave my thoughts on the subject from a Pilots
perspective.  I will not subject the list to that full text again.

Thus:
"The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable
cause(s) of this accident as follows: The in-flight loss of a propeller
counterweight , followed by the pilot's loss of aircraft control during
a forced landing attempt and subsequent inadvertent stall/spin to the
ground."

The old 3/7/2005 posting contains the reason why the loss of a
counterweight would force you to make an emergency landing.  I'll simply
state here that continuing to fly under any appreciable power would have
caused the aircraft to vibrate itself apart in this state.

Mr. Jim Wright was forced to land, then dodging the people he saw last
minute he saved many lives by sacrificing his own.

If you are interested in my old post of 3/7 let me know.

NTSB Link: http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20030815X01342&key=1

Jim Wright Link: http://www.wrightools.com/hughes/

Charles W. Manry Jr.
Single Engine / Land / Private Pilot.

ps: For information, and an excellent summary, on General Aviation see:
http://www.gaservingamerica.org/