[Geysers] satellite imagery

Steve Krause s_krause at mtco.com
Sat Apr 9 19:37:17 PDT 2005

One of the great myths is that sat photos are realtime. There's a reason the CIA
has to pay billions to keep satellites in orbit to keep tabs on specific areas
of interest in realtime.

One or two mapping satellites may take a year to do a "full coverage" pass on
the Earth. Now, factor in clouds, which typically cover 60% of the landmass on
any given day. It easily takes 4 years to get full, unclouded photomosaics, and
it may be from a variety of satellites with varying resolution, etc.

SRK