[Geysers] Monarch picture.

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Thu Sep 30 07:30:15 PDT 2004

The new edition of my book YELLOWSTONE PLACE NAMES (not yet published)
contains the following information on the four known photographs of Monarch
in eruption:

For a long time it was thought that no photographs existed of Monarch
Geyser in eruption other than for a 1913 one that showed it erupting muddy
water. But three others have recently come to light: Haynes photo #4141 (no
date), T.W. Ingersoll #1181B (1887), and a photo by H.C. White in the
University of California-Riverside collections (#WX26704, about 1904).

The 1913 Haynes photo that shows Monarch Geyser erupting muddy water is
published in Allen and Day's book HOT SPRINGS OF THE YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL
PARK (1913). The Haynes 4141 is (I think---I don't have my notes right at
hand) at Montana Historical Society, while the Ingersoll is in a private
collection.

I hope this helps.

Lee Whittlesey
Park Historian, NPS
YNP

                      David Monteith
                      <dmonteit at icehous        To:       geyser observation reports <geysers at wwc.edu>
                      e.net>                   cc:       (bcc: Lee Whittlesey/YELL/NPS)
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [Geysers] Monarch picture.
                      geysers-bounces at w
                      wc.edu

                      09/29/2004 07:02
                      PM MST
                      Please respond to
                      geyser
                      observation
                      reports

A Message From David Monteith <dmonteit at icehouse.net>    9/29

Photographs (stereoviews) of Monarch in eruption do exist.

Dave