[Geysers] Geyser report, Sept. 24-26

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 16:28:53 PDT 2004

A message from Tara Cross <fanandmortar at hotmail.com>

This geyser report covers geysers other than Giant/Grotto for Sept. 24-26.

Little Squirt was i.e. at 0907 on the 25th.

Little Anemone continues to have occasional eruptions; Andrew Hafner
observed an eruption on the 16th.

Plume is still dormant.

Beehive erupted at 1349 on the 24th and then 0924 on the 25th.  A visitor
saw Beehive from the Inn at 0321ie early on the 26th, so I headed that way
around 1600 to kill some time before Grand.  I hadn't been sitting more than
3 minutes when I heard a gurgle and saw water in the Indicator at 1609.
Beehive followed at 1624.

Lion continued as usual.

Aurum was seen quite a bit over the weekend; it erupted at 1639 and 2222 on
the 24th and at 0852, 1250, 1747, and 2343ie on the 25th.

I saw one promising Tardy cycle over the weekend, but it did not result in
an eruption of Penta.  It was probably just a coincidence, but I never saw
the group in deep drain the entire weekend.

Vent's Indicator, er, Grand remained very regular with intervals ranging
from 6h26m to 7h59m.  Most eruptions were 1 or 2 bursts; there was a 3-burst
eruption on 9/25.

Oblong continues to have series behavior.  It was seen at 1229ie and 1623ns
on the 24th, 1025 on the 25th, and 0753ns, 1205, and 1813 on the 26th.

Oh, I forgot to mention it in my other reports on Giant--"Solstice" was not
erupting as of about 2310 on the 26th.  By the way, Bob Leib pointed out way
back in mid-August that
"Solstice" had occasional pauses after Grotto marathons.

Nothing unusual at Daisy or Riverside.

Fan & Mortar had not erupted as of 2330 on the 26th; not surprising.

After erupting at 1619 on the 24th, Artemisia followed with eruptions at
1714 and 1640ie on the 25th and 26th, respectively.

Fountain provided some annoyance on 9/25.  It was seen at 0852ie and then
again at 1202ie, so we thought it might have another short interval.  It was
not to be; Fountain's next eruption was at 1810.

Great Fountain was seen at 1331, 1220, and 1452 on consecutive days, Sept.
24-26.  The eruption I saw on the 26th had an initial burst that was
approximately 150 feet high; others reported similar heights on the other
eruptions, as well as a nice blue bubble on the 24th.

Narcissus was seen at 1225ns and 1509ie on the 26th.

In approximately 6 hours waiting for Fountain, I saw numerous eruptions of
Drain at intervals of 8-18 minutes.  I did not see any eruptions of
Kaleidoscope or Deep Blue.  "1B" was occasionally active, along with what I
think was a vent of "Three Vent."  I have not seen Firehose erupting for at
least 2 weeks now.  Honey's Vent was active, but I did not see Honeycomb.
"New Thing Far Left" continues as before.

On the 25th, there was a report of a new 20-foot geyser erupting in the
vicinity of "Rediscovered" Geyser at Norris G.B.  The feature is located
just off the "old road" trail between Porcelain Basin and Minute Geyser.
Dave Goldberg observed this geyser on Saturday and again on Sunday.  Rocco
Paperiello reported that on the 26th, the height reached as much as 50 feet.
  The geyser continued to erupt, gradually raising its water level, until it
abruptly stopped and drained in the late afternoon on the 26th.  When I
checked this feature on the evening of the 27th, it was rumbling within its
vent with no water visible.  According to Rocco, it had not erupted since
the previous afternoon.

Rubble Geyser is also active.  An interval of roughly 2 hours was obtained
on the 27th.  The height was 2-3 feet.

That's all I have.  I will be out of the park until October 6.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com