[Geysers] Mount St. Helens Notice of Volcanic Unrest (Frangos)

Pat Snyder riozafiro at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 28 05:03:29 PDT 2004

Hello All from the Shadow of Mt. St. Helens (I live in Portland, OR)
Latest word on our backyard volcano is that the quakes are rather
shallow and primarily isolated in and around the lava dome. One theory
about the activity targets water seepage (we had an extremely wet
August and September) into the hot magma, causing small steam quakes
and possibly leading to a steam explosion in the near future (this has
happened before). If it happens, we'll get a nice view of the steam
cloud here in Portland! The news also said it could be another "dome
building eruption" as well.

I would be really surprised if there was a connection between this
quake activity and changes in Yellowstone's activity, but who knows?
Does anyone know if there were changes in the park's thermal activity
in 1980 when St, Helens was erupting? I don't recall anything about it
noted in Scott's book.

Oh, and there's a Volcano Cam, for those interested in keeping an eye
on St. Helens (daylight hours only):
http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

Pat Snyder