[Geysers] Some non-geyser stuff

Jacob Young jakefrisbee at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 09:22:40 PDT 2004

OFF GEYSER TOPIC ANSWERS:

I know several people that have gone scuba diving at
the Firehole swimming area.  They said that the
current is amazingly strong at 'the gap' (if you've
ever floated the rapids, you know where this is).
There's all sorts of people items at the bottom of the
pool.  There are big fish down there.  The depth of
the pool can change dramatically from year to year
(10's of feet to as much as a 25 foot difference if I
remember correctly) depending on how heavy the spring
runoff is.

Having worked in housekeeping at Canyon, I can tell
you that those teepees were built by kids that were
staying at the cabins and everyday they change shape
and size as more kids (and maybe adults) add to them.
Xanterra employees have too much partying to do to
mess with teepees.

The geology part I can only speculate on.

Jake