[Geysers] Geyser Report Labor Day weekend

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Sep 7 07:21:45 PDT 2004

I was surprised to see this morning that there were no weekend reports posted
as yet. I have not been doing so as my "office" is the spare bedroom that has
been thoroughly occupied by relatives until about an hour ago. Well, so this
will be only a summary and is as of about 17:00 on Monday, September 6.

Giant did not erupt, despite outstandingly good hot periods (roughly) every 8
to 13 hours, with lesser hot periods between.

Fan and Mortar had not erupted since 23:22 on Wednesday, September 1. (Thanks
to Jens Day, who downloaded his recorder and passed along the facts of the
recent nighttime eruptions. I post them here: Tuesday, August 17 was at 03:31;
Thursday August 26 at 00:53; Sunday, August 29 at 04:19; and then the above)...
It must be noted that F&M have been doing really odd things -- such as
yesterday afternoons double-pause cycle in which the vents tried (but failed) to go
into lock, then suddenly went into an Angle Vent steam phase that was
accompanied by splashing in _East Vent_, a combination never seen before (at least,
not by anybody who was there, including Tara and Paul). Also, I heard second
hand that Jens Day said his recorder indicated some sort of different pattern to
the minor activity since September 1 as opposed to before September 1.
So.......

Meanwhile, Beehive continues to be quite regular, for it, with intervals
during the past week all between 13 and 18 1/2 hours. All Indicators have been
between 13 and 20 minutes except for September 5, which saw a 2-minute Indicator.

Plume reactivated on September 1 and is having intervals mostly around 1 1/2
hours. Back in July, Plume reactivated about 1 1/2 days after activity by
Bronze was first seen. This time it began more like 5 (maybe 9) days later (Bronze
on 9/22 was claimed by somebody, denied by others).

Grand, though often still under 7 hours, has had a few longer intervals, near
9 hours and one (with electronic data) of 10 hours.

Daisy -- poor thing. On Sunday, September 5, admittedly a very windy day, it
had an interval of just under 4 hours. With this we again witnessed strong
convection, some bubbling and perhaps some bursting in Splendid's main vent (plus
lots of action in side boiler). Maybe the system is trying to do something
from Daisy to Splendid -- and maybe this accounts for the 5 to 6 hour intervals
electronically recorded -- but some of us also feel that we'd rather be seeing
shorter rather than longer intervals if Splendid was to reactivate. Whatever,
there are different things happening on that hill.

People have largely lost accurate track of Great Fountain, but it appears to
be holding to an average close to 12 hours (maybe a bit less than that, as it
progressively backed up on the clock three consecutive days). Same can be said
of Fountain -- it's reported but usually just one time per day.

Enough for now.

Scott Bryan -- 9/7/04