[Geysers] Report on 10/9/04 Link eruption observed by Kitt Barger

Katherine Barger barger at tritel.net
Wed Oct 27 19:43:45 PDT 2004

     Sorry that I didn't get this out sooner.  I'm staying busy with a full time job working with preschoolers and running in to the Park on the weekends, whenever possible.
     On October 9, 2004, I had pedaled my bike down to F & M area to visit the outhouse before heading for Grand.  I let a visitor go first while I removed my pack, etc.  I guess good things can happen to those who wait.  As I was riding back up the hill, I noticed that Link wasn't boiling.  (Dave Grigg had jokingly told me earlier that day that it would be a good day for a Major eruption.)  I looked at Link when I was even with it and realized that behind the huge steam cloud that was appearing (and headed my way), the geyser sounded different.  I grabbed for my radio while trying to balance on my bike.  "Link is erupting," I exclaimed excitedly hoping that there were other gazers nearby.  (I couldn't see my watch because it was covered by layers of warm clothing.)  Approximately 20 - 25 visitors were slowly walking past as the eruption started.  I excitedly told them to take photos, since several of them had cameras and video cameras already out and handy.  "This is a rare geyser," I announced.  During this time, several things happened.  First, I noticed a layer of water pushing toward us from below the steam, like Oblong does at the beginning of its eruption.  Next, I saw several spikes shoot out of the top of the steam cloud, but most of the eruption was hidden by steam.  Children were jumping around on the path playing in Link's misty waters as I pedaled up toward Culvert Spring hoping for a better view of the geyser.  I quickly got off my bike, and started searching through my backpack to locate my camera.  At this time, I also managed another call on the radio, "Link 1118, Link Geyser 1-1-1-8."  I found my camera and started taking pictures as Link went into a depth charge phase like Mastiff Geyser does during an eruption or after an excellent "Hot Period".  People were barraging me with questions.  I answered as many as I could, while continuing to take pictures and told them that I would answer the rest of their questions when Link finished erupting (if I knew the answer).  "This eruption won't last long," I told a pedestrian who responded by quickly taking several photos.  As suddenly as it had started, Link stopped.  I pedaled back down the hill toward Fan & Mortar to get some run-off photos.  A woman standing at the benches was just amazed by the run-off from Link.  She had stayed there during the entire eruption and was still trying to process what had just occurred.  She told me that "it was just fantastic, all that water dumping into the river."  I returned part way up the hill (parallel with Link) and tried to answer the visitors' questions the best that I could.  Amazed, I stared at the empty hole called Link.  The crowd slowly dispersed with children happily talking about getting sprinkled on by the geyser, while the adults talked excitedly to each other as they tried to comprehend all of their emotions and what they had just witnessed.  Link's eruption had lasted a rough 50 to maybe 60 seconds with an estimated height of approximately 70' at its maximum.  The run-off had followed the channel that is parallel with the road.  It didn't flow onto the road nor did any water flow down the second channel that heads toward the river.  Approximately 1/5 to 1/4 of the width of the river was turned brown by Link's run-off.  As I headed toward Grotto, I saw the woman that had gone ahead of me at the bathroom and thanked her.  I explained that the delay had let me see a rare geyser.  I found out that she had been with her family near Riverside when they heard all of the excitement, and had made it over to see Link's eruption also.  Watching the eruption was bittersweet, since Dave Grigg was past Grotto and just missed seeing Link's eruption by seconds.  I will send my photos to Dave Monteith.  Unfortunately nothing spectacular, but I guess I can't have everything.  Kitt Barger