[Geysers] Short report

Jeffrey Cross jacross at lamar.ColoState.EDU
Sun Oct 24 20:42:41 PDT 2004

> I do have a question; the last few times I have been in the river group
> in the last two months Mound has usually done only a weak boil to 2-3
> feet for most eruptions.  One cycle the boil barely made it to one
> foot.  Finally on the 21st I saw one boil to about six feet for about a
> second before returning to the 2-3 foot boil.  I thought Mound had
> higher eruptions than this.  Is the recent activity just the low
> eruptions, or was I just unluckly?

Mound's eruptions are of variable size.  Most that I have seen recently
have only been about 3 feet high, but occasionally there is a larger one
to 6 feet.  From the puddles on the platform it is obvious that larger
eruptions occur.  There is also a tendency for eruptions to occur at
bi-modal intervals, which I recall sans-notebook as being 14 and 26
minutes.

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu