[Geysers] Geyser report, such as it is 10/17-18

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Tue Oct 19 21:58:58 PDT 2004

Highlights, such as they are.

Giant had a 9 min 24 second recovery hot period 3.5 hours after the end of a
21-hour Grotto Marathon (at 1331 10/17).  Mastiff was 1-3 feet for most of
it, but nothing higher.  A pretty decent restart, especially considering it
was a post-marathon hot period.  Giant had a follow-up hot period at 1751,
duration 4 m 54 s.

Grand erupted at 0654 electronic (they surmised 3 bursts from the data) and
again at 1331, 1 burst.

Beehive wasn't seen at all during daylight on the 17th, nor the morning of
the 18th.

The Lower Ham's closed for the season with little ceremony at 1630 on the
17th, and I had the last free soda refill.  It was a solemn moment.

I'm trying to think of another geyser comment. We saw a Riverside.  We saw a
Daisy.  A couple of Lions.  F&M were in Angle mode. That was about it.

The main topic of conversation was the weather.  The prediction was for snow
and generally cruddy conditions from Saturday the 16th until sometime in
April.  We chanced coming anyway, and Sunday was decent.  Breezy, partly
cloudy, and temps in the high 40s.  Monday was a different matter.  We
awakened to about 2" on the ground and decided to go into the basin anyway.
It really began to dump, and in the next two hours an additional 4 inches
fell.  We saw nothing - the tail end of a mediocre hot period (one or two
blips from Posthole and a steamy, damp platform, but ice still on part of
India).  That was it.

We gave up and departed. Craig Pass was closed so we enjoyed an additional
160 minutes of driving time back to Denver.

Hey, not every weekend can be a gem.

Paul Strasser