[Geysers] A 1901 trip to the geysers

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Nov 27 07:47:55 PST 2004

In a message dated 11/26/2004 8:34:49 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov writes:
After looking at the Castle from a distance, we once more turn our faces
toward the up grade and are shown a very curious pool called the Broken
Heart [what feature  is this?], probably ten feet across one way and
fifteen the other, but exactly like a heart split open. It is a little
spring and the coloring is of an orange shade,

I will contend that the descriptions within this portion of Mr. Dellett's
narrative refers not to things on Geyser Hill, but rather to things along the
river between Grand and Castle. After all, these descriptions immediately follow
those of Grand and Sawmill AND of "looking at Castle from a distance..."

So the question would be (among others) -- where did people cross the river
in those days? Actually, downstream from the modern bridge, where the stream
banks (especially on the northeast side) are less steep, would be logical to me.
If this were so, then maybe...

Broken Heart, with its orange shade, was Terra Cotta Spring
The Ant Hill might be one of the Terra Cotta Geysers features (and the holes
probably did not go through but rather were decorative geyserite)
This could place Dellett "on the bank of the river" in position to see the
Bee Hive ... "rising... from the very bottom of the river" This is Deleted
Teakettle.
The Chimney is Chimney Cone.
Bottomless Well has perhaps had its 2000-foot-deep bottom plugged, but it is
South Scalloped.

Only then does the party head for Geyser Hill, where the Watch and Chain
is/are today's Goggles Spring, the orange ("gold") watch being the round shallow
part of the spring.

Later, the description of Pea-Nut doesn't sound right, as Peanut isn't nearly
that large. Of course, neither is/was Topaz.