[Geysers] Hot spring name procedures

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Nov 23 12:51:37 PST 2004

Last summer, while working on my books, I queried Lee Whittlesey about the
current policy regarding hot spring names. As before, the process is involved.
However, in following up (just today) I found the following:

The Website of the U. S. Board on Geographic Names is located at
http://geonames.usgs.gov/bgn. As of November 23, 2004, that page included four links of
interest:
• A long (44 pages) PDF document titled “Principles, Policies, and
Procedures: Domestic Geographic Names” that presents considerable detail about the
naming process. Within this are numerous links to other pages, including Appendix
C. (I have saved a copy of this PDF.)
• A PDF version of Appendix C, the “Domestic Geographic Name Report” that
one uses to propose a new or revised name. It is available at
http://geonames.usgs.gov/A-C.pdf. (I have saved a copy of this PDF, too.)
• A series “Dockets...” that are sequentially numbered and dated lists of
proposed names organized alphabetically by state. “Docket 387,” for  example,
includes 71 names on 43 pages that were to be considered at the USBGN meeting
of October 20, 2004.
• The minutes of the meetings, giving the decisions that were made at that
time. Unfortunately, the most recent of these was dated February 2004.

Transactions IX will include a 3-page document by Whittlesey and Henry
Heasler (well, at least Hank's name is on it, although back in August he seemed to
be unaware of it) that lays all this out from the NPS end of things. But the
above will provide you with lots of information (too much, perhaps) and maybe
give you some reading during this "off season."

Note to Lee: there's no "www" in the Web addresses -- using it gave me a
"page not found" error. And that list of "names within quotes" will be off to you
soon. It will be as a Word attachment.

T. Scott Bryan
72-779 Fleetwood Circle
Palm Desert, CA 92260-9389