[Geysers] Strokkur and Geysir Video and Blue Bubble Questions

Alan Glennon glennon at umail.ucsb.edu
Sun Dec 12 12:21:22 PST 2004

In the video, the shots of the pool are Strokkur. The one Geysir eruption I saw simply looked like a slightly larger and longer version of a Strokkur eruption. The distant shot probably is Geysir. The eruption position looks more like Geysir, but there is a camera angle or two that you could get a similar view of Strokkur.

As for Strokkur, eruptions commonly start from a full pool of water. The entire contents of the pool rise suddenly and then jets of water explode from it. Since the pool's near-surface water is heaved upward in its entirety (I might describe it as a laminar flow-type behavior, rather than the turbulence seen in a typical geyser start), the effect is that of a big blue bubble.

In June 2003, the vast majority of eruptions of Strokkur I saw included the blue bubble.

I would expect blue bubble eruptions to be more prevalent in deep, comparatively narrow pool vents. Expanding steam comes from deeper plumbing into the bottom of the pool --- this lifts the contents of the pool, while the weight of the overlying water momentarily keeps the steam at bay.

Anyway, that's what I think-
Alan

J. Alan Glennon
UCSB Department of Geography