[Geysers] Strokkur and Geysir Video and Blue Bubble Questions

Pat Snyder riozafiro at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 11 10:10:43 PST 2004

On one of my Google searches, I found this link to a video of Strokkur
and Geysir erupting. I suspect the close up at the beginning is
Strokkur (it looks like photos I have seen of it) and then the distance
shot is Geysir. Is that correct?
http://www.geysircenter.com/english/video2.html

Also, I have a book called "Volcanoes" that has an excellent photo
series on Strokkur. In both the book photos and in this video, Strokkur
makes a gorgeous blue bubble before it erupts. My question is (which
could not be answered by my friend who recently went to this geyser
field), does Strokkur make this blue bubble most of the time? And,
because I am a novice Gazer, could someone please explain what they
dynamics are that create blue bubbles? Why do some geysers make them
and others do not? And are they more common to certain types of
geysers?

I would sure like to visit Iceland someday, along with Rotorua,
Kamchatka and El Tatio, so I keep buying that lottery ticket every
weekend!
Thanks much!
Pat Snyder