[Geysers] Giant August 2 eruptoion

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 8 00:22:18 PST 2004

A message from Tara Cross <fanandmortar at hotmail.com>

>Somehow I have it in my notes that the eruption of Giant on August 2, 2004
>was a "Normal function" _not_ accompanied by significant Mastiff. However,
>photos that were posted by Debby Stahl (taken by her husband, Joe Erlanger)
>appear
>to show Mastiff behind and fully as tall as Giant (so, "Mastiff function").
>Since I intend to use (with permission already received) one of these
>photos in
>Transactions IX, I like to know. Was this Normal or Mastiff?

Mastiff did not erupt with Giant on August 2.  It was indeed a "Normal
function" eruption.  In the photo, Giant must appear to have two columns
(quite possible, as Giant was indeed massive).  Mastiff surged to 6-8 feet
during the hot period but dropped before the 7-minute mark.  Mastiff erupted
with the May 30, July 15, and September 26 eruptions, but not on August 2 or
October 11.

-Tara Cross

fanandmortar at hotmail.com