[Geysers] Long rivers

Eric Hatfield conantb at swbell.net
Tue Dec 7 20:19:45 PST 2004

Not to be argumentative, but I believe the Amazon is now the favored pick for "longest."

The controversy is long standing.  Nathan has hit on the crux of it--it's a matter of definition.  With the Nile, the White vs. Blue vs. Lake Victoria issue is key.  With the Amazon, it's deciding which of the twigs descending from the high Andes is actually the Amazon, and where that twig switches from being seasonal to persistent.

But after zillions of taxpayer dollars, I'm sure, I think persistant sources of the Amazon were found back to a length of 4195 miles, solidly outdoing either Nile claim.  Reference a recent Guinness Book of World records for discussion.

But while definitions are in doubt, one must consider permanent, predictable ocean trade currents ("rivers"), tons of which easily dwarf the lengths of all land bound rivers in both length and obviously volume.

More useless banter during the wintertime.

About the Giant pics (thanks for sending them, by the way), is that Mastiff, or just a falling splash/chunk of Giant's early water column?  If it's Mastiff, it would be bigger than any recent eruption, no?  I defer to those who were there, have wild screaming videos, etc.

Go Giant Go.