[Geysers] Long rivers

Nathan Dutzmann nathandutz at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 7 05:54:43 PST 2004

According to most sources, the Nile is world's longest
river, at about 4150 miles to the Amazon's 4000.  The
problem with this is that the Nile's measurement runs
from the ocean to the headwaters of the White Nile.
But the volume of the Blue Nile is twice that of the
White Nile at the confluence of the two rivers, so I
would assert that the White Nile is, in reality, a
tributary of the Blue Nile, making the "real" length
of the Nile much shorter.

If we extend to the Missouri River the same courtesy
afforded the White Nile, the resulting Missourissippi
River is far longer than either the Missouri or the
Mississippi.  After spending more time than I should
have searching around on Google, I was able to find
one source of unknown trustworthiness that says that
(alas) the Red Rock - Jefferson - Missouri -
Mississippi system is the longest river journey in
North America (~3750) and (alas again) even that is
only fourth worldwide, behind the White Nile - Nile
(~4150), the Amazon (~4000), and the Yangtze (~3950).

I realize this runs a bit far afield of geyser stuff,
but after all, the honor of the Firehole is at stake.
Sadly, though, it looks like the Firehole probably
loses.  :-(

Nathan Dutzmann