[Geysers] FW: Giant and others

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Wed Dec 1 10:48:34 PST 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Keller [mailto:KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2004 6:55 PM
To: 'geyses at wwc.edu'
Subject: Giant and others

All,

I spent a couple of hours in the UGB today:

Very cold weather here!  It was -21F yesterday morning, but there is little
snow right now.

Giant erupted at least once between 11/09 and 11/29.  The sign for Giant was
washed almost into the river.  Based upon the hot periods I saw today and
lack of any spray/ice patterns in the snow around Giant I would say it has
been at least 3 days since Giant erupted.  I saw 3 hot periods, two lasting
about 2 minutes and the other lasting almost 7 minutes.  Mastiff overflowed
heavily on the last one but never surged more than a foot.

Fan and Mortar erupted at least once between 11/09 and 11/29.  Based upon
ice and spray patterns in the snow I believe they erupted sometime on 11/28.
Today "Bottom Vent" was very active and Fan was in junk mode.

Based upon snow in their runoff channels, Penta and Churn have not erupted
in many days.

The small vent across the river from Oblong was perpetually active today.

Baby Daisy was seen in eruption from the road by folks coming down from
Mammoth.

MK