[Geysers] Geyser report 17-21 Aug (Durrant)

Mario Durrant yellowstone17 at bridgernet.com
Sun Aug 22 15:50:44 PDT 2004

>It would be interesting to compare photos of the indicator's
> vent over the last 20 years and see how its growth from an
> impossible-to-see slit to a gaping hole correlates with the increase in
> power. That makes the Indicator the #4 active geyser on Geyser Hill
> currently, behind only Beehive, Lion, and Aurum.

Gordon, thanks for the informative report-- it made me go and dig out some
old pictures.  I have a photo from July 24, 1990 of Beehive in eruption with
Beehive Indicator, also a picture of just Beehive Indicator before Beehive
went into eruption that same day-- in both pictures the Indicator's maximum
height seems to be about a foot above the top of the cone (of course, two
pictures aren't accurate at telling the height of that eruption by any
means).  The hole from which it is erupting in the picture seems to be a
little smaller than the current hole, but fairly similar, the main eruption
is coming from a hole just east of a long crack in the sinter.  I'm sure
there are other old pictures that are much better than mine.  As far as
Beehive's Indicator being the #4 active geyser on the Hill, I suppose you're
speaking of height?  What about Giantess-- still considered active even
though eruptions are infrequent isn't it?  As opposed to Plume which is
considered dormant even now, even though it has erupted since Giantess has.
Just a thought-

MD