[Geysers] News: Timing is everything on geyser walk

V ynp4me at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 22 09:46:53 PDT 2004

8/22 news Article-
Enjoy!
Vicky Frangos

Timing is everything on geyser walk

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/Stories/0,1413,209~29391~2346110,00.html

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. _ Anemone Geyser
was dry and silent as we walked up. Our trail brochure
noted that these benign traits were in fact precursors to
an eruption, so we stood along the boardwalk and waited
_ though other tourists hurried past.

Soon enough, the show began. The pool filled, then churned
with boiling water on the surface. A spout formed _ 5 feet,
6 feet _ belching steam. The spectacle lasted barely a minute,
and then the gusher subsided as quickly as it had formed,
and the water receded into the pool, disappearing with the
sound of a flushing toilet.

Later, we concluded that little, dramatic Anemone was our
favorite among the many geysers, hot springs and mud
pots to be found inside the volcanic caldera of Yellowstone
National Park, a 30-by-45-mile basin at the heart of the
park.

Guests of the Old Faithful Inn can readily get to Anemone
and the better-known attractions of the Upper Geyser Basin
_ Old Faithful, Castle, Riverside, Morning Glory Pool _ on
a web of boardwalk trails that strings out along the Firehole
River. Trail guides are available for 50 cents at the visitors'
center or at dispensers at the entrance of the route.

The science of all this hydrothermal activity is pretty simple.
Volcanic eruptions occurred here in Yellowstone's ancient
past, the last about 640,000 years ago. A huge chunk of land
collapsed, forming the caldera, or interior of the volcano. Water
on the surface seeps down into porous layers of rock, where
it is flash-heated _ sometimes by magma that is only three
miles below your feet. The water races back to the surface as
steam or hot springs.

For the visitor, it presents an otherworldly environment. Rocky
cones smoke ominously (notably Castle Geyser). Some pools
spurt and splash (Sawmill). Several holes have water boiling
at the surface, bubbling furiously as if waiting for a handful
of pasta. Peer inside and you'll see an orifice as complex as the
human ear.

The water in some deep pools is bright-blue in color, because
in the rainbow spectrum, blue rays scatter the most when
sunlight strikes the water's surface. Also, the extreme heat of
the water enhances the effect.

It was disappointing to discover that Morning Glory Pool wasn't
as blue as it had been during the family vacations of my youth,
and it was disheartening to hear why. Over the years, visitors
just haven't been able to resist tossing objects into it _ coins,
rocks, logs, litter. The foreign objects caused the temperature
to drop, and yellow, orange and brown algae formed in the
cooler water. Despite warning signs, rangers still have to drain
the pool and extract the trash on a regular basis.

Travelers who throng to the Upper Geyser Basin often miss
the Biscuit Basin, a short drive away. Maybe that's why its
Sapphire Pool exhibits the blue brilliance once associated
with Morning Glory.

At the visitors' center, rangers post predicted eruption times
for some geysers, but patience is a must. Some of the forecasts
will be worded as ``within 45 minutes of ...'' or ``within an
hour of ...'' At Oblong Geyser, we encountered a fellow who
had decided he was just going to sit down and wait it out.

Sometimes you can just be lucky. Castle Geyser suddenly
erupted when we were on the opposite side of the basin, but
the spout was so robust we had a great view of it nonetheless.
Elsewhere in the park, at Lower Geyser Basin, where we stopped
to see the Fountain Paint Pots, we were treated to an abrupt and
sustained eruption of Clepsydra Geyser _ so vigorous that the
steam cloud engulfed part of the boardwalk, scattering a handful
of visitors.

Yellowstone's main event, of course, is Old Faithful, which
spouts skyward at regular intervals (over the years they've
varied from 45 minutes to 120 minutes; currently, the eruptions
are spaced at about 90 minutes). The plume regularly tops
100 feet, and sometimes will soar to nearly twice that height.

If you watch this one from the boardwalk, you'll have plenty of
company, but for a much different perspective, cross the
Firehole River on a nearby bridge and detour onto the Observation
Point Trail. The one-mile round trip climbs through an evergreen
forest, where marmots play among the downed logs (we
encountered several).

At the overlook, the view takes in the geyser basin, the inn
_ and, if your timing is right, an eye-level view of the top of
Old Faithful's gusher.

~~